BELGIUM - ISRAEL: agreement on social security - general information
You are leaving Belgium and are going to live in Israel or you are leaving Israel and are going to live in Belgium.
Before leaving, you have to inquire of the competent institutions what formalities you should accomplish in order to preserve your social security benefits or in order to receive social security benefits.
Belgium has concluded a bilateral agreement on social security with Israel. This agreement may apply to your own situation, the situation of your family members and the situation of your survivors.
The agreement between Belgium and Israel regulates the applicability of the social security legislations of Belgium and Israel.
The agreement between Belgium and Israel applies to employed persons, self-employed persons and certain categories of civil servants.
Besides a number of exceptions that are mentioned in the agreement, such as in the case of posting, the Israeli social security legislation will apply to you if you work in Israel.
Besides a number of exceptions that are mentioned in the agreement, such as in the case of posting, the social security legislation of Belgium will apply to you if you work in Belgium.
However, you should know that the agreement only applies under certain conditions:
- In principle, you have to be on the territory of Belgium or Israel.
- You have to have the Israeli or the Belgian nationality.
The agreement between Belgium and Israel guarantees that :
- you will have the same rights and obligations in the country where you work as an employed citizen of this country;
- periods of activity in both countries will be taken into account for the entitlement to social security benifits;
- you will be able, under certain conditions, to receive social security benefits from your country of origin when you live in the other country;
- your periodes of activity in both countries will be totalized for your entitlement to social security benefits and for the calculation of the amount of these benefits, e.g. for the retirement pensions.
The agreement between Belgium and Israel contains detailed rules of application for the granting of the social security benefits.
The agreement between Belgium and Israel bears on the following benefits:
- benefits for accidents at work
- benefits for occupational diseases
- retirement pensions
- survivor's pensions.
You will find more information on "find information", by selecting the criteria that apply to your situation.
Please find here the textt of the agreements and the text of the administrative arrangements :